Monday, June 13, 2011

Texting

A habit I find hard to break is texting. Ever since I was twelve years old, I've owned a cellular device and constantly used it. Over the years, the amount that my fingers run over the smooth buttons each month has increased drastically. The excitement I, and many of my friends, get when receiving a text message is indescribable. When I wake up early in the morning, even as early as 2 o’clock, and discover that the bright red light is flashing indicating that I have a text, I gain a feeling of curiosity and elation. It sounds pathetic, but having someone to converse with a lot of the time is enlightening. For me, sitting at home alone is beyond boring, but when you have someone to talk to, time goes by quicker, and maybe you will have interesting conversations and learn things about someone that you never knew before. Communication is an important aspect in life, and texting is just another way of doing it. Texting has become so addicting for many of us, that we always have our phones in our hands, waiting for that soft vibrate. Teachers get very angry. We come to school to learn and prepare ourselves for the real world and what’s in store for our lives, and the majority of us can’t focus because our eyes are drawn to our phones. I understand why teachers and administrators get so frustrated with us, but the truth is, if our phones are in our possession, we can’t help holding them and looking at them. Although I love my phone dearly, I’m glad there will be a policy next year regarding having phones in class. I’m also glad I am graduating so I won’t have to obey that terrible yet necessary rule. Cell phone companies are just going to keep advancing their technology and the things that you can do on a wireless device. The youth are going to continue to get more and more attached to technology, and unfortunately the teachers aren’t going to be able to do anything about it in small measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment