Thursday, November 5, 2009

"The Glass Castle"

In the book " The Glass Castle ", the quote "When mom got home that evening, she looked in the refrigerator and asked what happened to the margarine, we told her we ate it" really made me think. It made me realize that I (and the people I know) have it a lot better than a lot of people do.


When you are so poor and hungry that you have to eat margarine mixed with sugar to satisfy your hunger, you know something is wrong. I wouldn't be able to understand what this kind of living is like because my parents have always provided for me and I can definitely say this for all of my friends as well. At times, people I know complain about the littlest things and make it seem like they have it so bad. I'm sure they're not the only one's who do that which shows that we don't realize how others don't have homes, and often can't eat for days, or even weeks at a time. We don't grasp the concept that to survive, some people have to dig through garbage bins to get their food for the week and don't have the luxury of showering everyday. Some of us assume that everybody has a good life like we do; getting pampered and not having to work until we graduate high school. Reading this book really makes you think about how many people are dying of hunger, with no place to live and have no hope. Sometimes at school you will hear people say "I'm dying of hunger". Well think of the unfortunate people who never get to eat fresh meals or get the delight of going out to restaurants to eat whatever they desire. At times, many of us take the lives we have for granted, and "The Glass Castle" makes us think more about how lucky we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment